CONSTITUTION FOR STUDENT COUNCIL COMES UP TONIGHT

Power of Jurisdiction on Individual Students Removed -- Expulsion for Non-Interest Provided

Following the dispute aroused by the Ballantine-Bowditch proposals, first to abolish the Student Council and second, as a compromise to cut down its present size, a new, shiny, revised constitution will be proposed at a regular meeting of the Council in University Hall this evening.

Provisions and Omissions

This document, prepared in detail by Thomas H. Quinn '36, president of the Council, is the result of a discussion carried on at a Council committee meeting held on the last Thursday before vacation. It contains several new provisions and omits some useless powers included in the old document, but does not cut down the present size of the Council.

Most important of the changes is a provision that any member of the Council may be expelled for not attending three successive meetings and his place filled by a new man chosen by the remaining members of the Council.

Outmoded Powers

Outworn powers pointed out by the Ballantine-Bowditch resolutions, such as that allowing the Council to keep a record of grades, cuts, absences, etc., of students to control the conduct of other student organizations, and to have control over individual students, have been omitted.

New election rules are also included in the new constitution, and it is expected that they will receive considerable opposition. There is a strong feeling that there should be greater efficiency in the conduct of elections and definite provisions to insure this.

The Committee

The committee discussing the changes was composed of Quinn, Shaun Kelly, Jr. '36, Le Moyne White '36, Robert C. Hall '36, C. Colmery Gibson '37, Thomas H. Bilodeau '37, Ballantine, and Bowditch.