The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

Strictly Speaking

The Radcliffe year book is dedicated to the spirit of Harvard.

* * *

Seismologists had been quite bewildered over the inexplicable jittering of the seismograph located until recently in the University Museum. Adopting a procedure long in vogue in scientific circles, one of the more imaginative of the bewildered postulated at random a cause for the instrument's super-oscillations, and then proceeded to prove his guess.

Equipped with a stop-watch he appeared at the Museum just before midnight. Unlocking the large front door, he entered the deserted building, glanced at the watch, and strode up the stairs. Reaching the top floor he again noted the time, remained motionless for precisely three minutes, and then walked to the head of another staricase. Here he again consulted the stop-watch, and paused for three minutes before descending to the ground floor. Once more he glanced at his watch, left the building, and disappeared in the night.

Next day his theory was completely verified. Because of the loose suspension of the horizontal beams of the building, the seismograph record of the night before indicated cataclysmic upheavals at every step he had taken. Apparently the instrument had been particularly disturbed in the course of his descent from the top floor.

* * *

The pace of a Freshman crossing Washington Street last Friday evening was greatly accelerated by the blast of an automobile horn. Engrossed in contemplation of Jubilees, he did not check his speed upon reaching the opposite curb until he had passed through a plate glass show window.