RALPH PERRY WINS PULITZER PRIZE FOR BEST BIOGRAPHY

"Honey in the Horn" Is Best Novel, While "Idiot's Delight" Wins Prize for No. 1 Play

Ralph Barton Perry, Ph.D. '99, Edgar Pierce Professor of Philosophy, was awarded the $1000 Pulitzer Prize for the best American biography teaching patriotic and unselfish services to the people for his work "The Thought and Character of William James," it was announced in New York last night.

Last year's winner of the best biography was Douglas S. Freeman with his two volume edition of "R.E. Lee," and the year previous Tyler Dennett won with his work on John Hay.

Professor Perry took his A.B. at Princeton in 1896 and his two graduate degrees here. Later he was an instructor at Williams College and Smith. He has been on the faculty here since 1902 and a professor since 1913. He has written several previous works on William James, including "William James' Essays in Radical Empiricism," and "James' Collected Essays and Reviews." He is also the author of "General Theory of Value," "Philosophy of the Recent Past," and "The Free Man and the Soldier."

Other Pulitzer awards announced last night went to H.L. Davis for "Honey in the Horn," the best American novel, and to Robert Sherwood for his play "Idiot's Delight."