CRIMSON RELEGATED TO SECOND PLACE IN I.C.4A.'S

GREEN FIRST IN BROAD JUMP BUT SECOND IN HIGH HURDLES

Failure to come through as advertised in the trial heats coupled with Green's leg injury caused the track team to be content with a second place in the I.C.A.A.A.A. Meet in Philadelphia Saturday, and they were lucky to get that.

Coming into the finals with only five qualifiers, after Norman Cahners had been shut out of the hammer throw, the Crimson was able only to score 19 16-21 points to the 29 1-2 of Cornell, while Dartmouth was in third place by a margin of 5-21 of a point.

Milton Green who decided not to run the low hurdles, secured a first in the broad jump and second in the high hurdles. In the jump he was nine inches ahead of his nearest competitor, Stan Johnson of M.I.T., while in the highs he was nosed out by his schoolboy and college rival, Johnny Donovan of Dartmouth. This was the first time this season in three starts that the Green runner has beaten Green.

In the 1500-meters Al Northrop led after the first quarter-mile to within hailing distance of the home tape, where he began to fade and was passed by Gene Venzke and a trio of others forcing him to a tired fifth. Dick Johnson's third in the javelin throw was another disappointment for Harvard followers.

Other points for the Cambridgites came with Gerry Downer's third in the 100-meters dash with the brilliant time of 10.7 seconds for the winner. Downer followed Scanion, however, whom he beat earlier in the season. Mal Millard captured a rather discouraging third in the discus, tossing the platter about 148 feet, ten feet behind Wood of Cornell and four behind Kishon of Bates.

This meet wound up the season for the track forces except for those who have aspirations of being Olympic competitors. The sectional trails come in the Stadium in a few weeks while the finals are to be held in New York on Saturday and Sunday, July 10 and 11