VARSITY BATTERS DEVENS, CONQUERS ALUMNI NINE 10-4

Donaghy, Jayvee Coach, Starts on Hill for Graduates; Chase, Nugent Smash Eight Hits Here Yesterday

Not this time for Charley Devens; the former Harvard and Yankee hurler and perennial tamer of incipient College sluggers met a rude setback in the bats of Al Colwell and Tom Bilodeasu here yesterday, as the Varsity defeated an Alumni baseball team 10 to 4.

Everett Donaghy, Junior Varsity coach, started on the mound for the Alumni and was touched for three runs n four innings. Mal McTernen, George Tittmann, and Paul Connolly singled successively in the second and subsequently scored two while the graduates were tossing out the side. In the fourth Connolly tallied wen Braman Gibbs backed up his base on balls with a double to center.

For the home side Tittmann held the opposition to a single until the last two frames, when the Alumni pushed over a trio, featured by John Chase's home run to left field.

Devens began by removing the side auspiciously in the fifth; in the next inning his troubles began. Connolly got his second single but was forced by John Adzigian; Gibbs drew a walk, and everybody scored when Colwell lined speed balls to the distant reaches of left field.

In the next inning Harvard got four more when Bilodeau tripled to right after an error and hits by Frank Owen and Adzigian and scored himself as Colwell was out at the plate trying to stretch a triple to left.

Hitting honors for the day went to the third basemen where Connolly and Owen gathered three for three, and Frank Nugent of the Alumni four for four. Other slugger was John Chase, graduate second baseman, who got himself four safeties in five trips to the plate.

The Alumni lineup: Howard W. Burns '28, ss, cf; James P. McCaffrey '33, cf, rf; Alfred G. Whitney '29, rf; John S. Chase '31, 2b; G. Everett Donaghy '29, p, ss; Williams W. Lord '28, 1b; Albert J. Lupien '32 rf; Charles Devens '32, p; Francis E. Nugent '30, 3b; Henry Chauncey '28, c; Thomas W. Gilligan '31, lf.

The Harvard box score:

ab  r  h  po  a  eGibbs, cf  4  1  1  2  0  0Bilodeau ss  5  1  1  4  1  0Colwel, 1b  5  1  2  11  1  2Maguire, c  2  0  0  0  1  0Waldinger, c  2  0  0  2  1  0J'm's S'lliv'n, rf  4  1  1  0  0  0McTernen, lf  4  1  2  1  0  0Tittmann, p  5  1  1  1  3  0Connolly 3b  2  1  2  0  3  0Owen, 3b  1  1  1  0  3  0Shean, 2b  3  1  0  3  3  0Adzigian, 2b  1  1  1  3  3  0  38  10  12  27  19