Sixteen Members of Class of 1939 Gain Highest Distinction in Their Studies

Class as Whole Achieves Better Record Than Freshmen Did the Previous Year

Sixteen of the 988 members of last year's Freshman class attained the rank of "highest distinction" in studies during the past year. Grades required for this ranking are a minimum of 3 1-2 A's and 1-2 B.

This Freshman class, the class of 1939, excelled the record of the previous year's Freshman class. This year 25.4 per cent of the class of 1939 passed with honors, minimum marks of 3 1-2 B's and 1-2 C, in comparison to the 21.6 per cent figure made by the class of 1938 in its freshman year. The number this year in the lowest rank group was 5 per cent, in comparison to the figure of 8.6 per cent for the class of 1938 in the previous year.

The Best Students

Those who passed this year with highest distinction, and the names of their preparatory schools, are: Henry F. Allen, of Boston, Mass., St. Mark's School; Jack D. Andrews, of St. Paul, Minn., University of Minnesota High School; Richard R. Beatty, Jr., of Kansas City, Mo., Junior College of Kansas City; Harold Brown, of Dorchester, Mass., Boston Latin School; Robert M. Bunker, of West Roxbury, Mass., Roxbury Latin School; John J. Carchia, of Cambridge, Mass., Cambridge High and Latin School; Lawrence F. Ebb, of Dorchester, Mass., Boston Latin School; Karl F. Guthe, Ann. Arbor, Mich, University of Michigan High School; Irving M. London, of Malden, Mass., Malden High School; Richard M. Noyes, of Urbana, Ill., University High School; Frederic E. Pamp, of Roslindale, Mass., Roxbury Latin School; Allen E. Puckett, of Chicago Heights, Ill., Blom Township High School; Lee S. Rosenberg, of Cincinnati, O. Walnut Hills High School; Royal S. Schaaf, of New Yark, N. J. Exeter; Julius L. Shack, of Mattapan, Mass., Boston Latin School; and James Tobin, of Champaign Ill., University High School.