Katharine Hepburn Claims College Dramatics Have Moulded Many Future Celebrities of Broadway Stage and Movieland

Shows Spontaneity, Sparkling Wit in Exclusive Interview At Colonial

Besides the fact that they save a few people from wasting quite as tremendous an amount of time as does the average student, college dramatics have moulded many a future star, according to Katharine Hepburn, interviewed at the Colonial Theatre after one of her last Boston appearances in "Jane Eyre."

Garbed in his habitual gabardine slacks and yellow turtle-neck sweater, the stage and screen star was the true feminine counterpart of the Harvardian's idea of dressing for comfort. Despite constant interruptions from the horde of autograph-seekers and hangers-on around her dressing-room, she shot back alert replies, seemed to enjoy her only exclusive interview during her brief Hub visit.

Asinine Question

Frequent in her responses were spontaneous exclamations. To one question, as to whether she hoped her sisters would follow her footsteps, she answered first that she would like to see them "walk out" in front of her, added with disarming frankness, "What an asinine thing to want to know!"

Encouraging college aspirants to the screen, Miss Hepburn ejaculated, "Why, there are hundreds of actors and directors in Hollywood with university degrees." Franchot Tone and Fredric March were named as two Phi Beta Kappa actors. She asserted that college acting often gives the budding actor too high an opinion of himself and that every would-be star is due for a jolt when he realizes how hard it is to break in.

Harvard Hop in '28

Her Harvard connections are limited to two brothers, '33 and '34, and to her attendance at a class dance in 1928. She was unable to remember very much about the latter. "But I'll have you know I was a wallflower," she confessed.

Asked what feminine screen star she admired most, she replied without hesitation that it was Garbo. "Garbo has everything, beauty, personality, and tal-talent," she exclaimed. Of male celebrities she termed Paul Muni "the most brilliant actor in Hollywood."

"Boston has the most enthusiastic and responsive audiences I have ever played to" was her voluntary apprecia-