OFFICIAL REVIEWS FOR FRESHMEN TO BE DISCONTINUED

Committee Believes Free Reviews Are Important to Students Who Cannot Afford Outside Tutoring

The official mid-year reviews given last year in certain courses to Freshmen are to be discontinued during the present examination period, it was learned yesterday from Douglas Mercer '40, Chairman of the Freshman Union Committee.

Both Kendric N. Marshall '21, Secretary of the Union, and the Union Committee feel that the free reviews presented last January were in general unsuccessful, especially criticizing their inadequate organization.

In addition, it was pointed out that in several large elementary courses designed for Freshmen, such as History 1 and English 1, the instructors conducted regular reviews, making Union sessions unnecessary. Unless Freshmen express a great demand for reviews before the final exams, they will no doubt be dropped permanently.

The Union Committee, however, still favors the idea of reviews, as it believes they constitute a desirable part of the educational system and fill a gap not previously covered by the University. It also feels that reviews help to correlate course material. Supplementing this belief is the knowledge that many unable to afford the prices charged by the tutoring schools would be glad to take advantage of free reviews.

To sound the opinion of the class as to a permanent system of reviews in courses not handled already by the big departments, the Committee plans to conduct a poll. If the result is favorable, it intends to leave the Class of 1941 a satisfactory arrangement for giving reviews in such courses as Biology D, Physics C, and Philosophy B.

Last year instructors reviewed Biology A, which has been discontinued, Biology D, Chemistry A, and Philosophy B.