THE PRESS

HARVARD'S TUTORIAL POLICY

We noticed in a recent Herald that the Harvard student council is commencing an investigation of the numerous tutoring schools in and around Harvard square, in an effort to find out whether or not they are "ethical" and "worth-while."

The council expects to collate much significant data from a questionnaire circulated among the undergraduates of the university, asking, among other things, the student's opinion as to whether or not the tutoring establishments use "illegal" methods in coaching their clients for examination, preparing reports and theses, and in cataloguing courses.

The avowed purpose of the investigation, "to determine whether or not the latter (tutoring schools) have grown out of their natural proportion and whether any effort should be made to curb their activities," is an admission in itself that Harvard officials have good reason to believe that the university courses are far from benefiting from the tutorial establishments.

We applaud the action of the Harvard student council in investigating them. At the same time we should rejoice that at Technology the possibility of the growth of a group of tutoring schools, whose business is lining up "snap" courses and "easy" professors, is absolutely nil, because the majority of students who come to the Institute do so in order to become engineers in certain definite fields, and not primarily to get a "broad education", which, unfortunately, is in so many cases a synonym for "getting a degree in the easiest possible manner." THE TECH