Lining them Up

The fall sports season soon starts feeling its strength. Time comes for asking what here you got. Football scribes rub their chins and don't say very much. Asked about Harvard soccer, the good scribe does the same thing but he might put his tongue in his check. There is a distinct feeling that Varsity Coach Jack Carr may be about to open a golden egg.

Lots of Material

For the first time in a number of years Coach Carr has competitors for every position, and not one competitor but many. In a first squad of 40 men, there aren't ten who aren't capable of becoming first string in any college league. Of course, anyone will tell you that American soccer is in a bad way, so neglected by the schools that now it may Lake three or four years really to develop a college player. And there's no doubt that Coach Carr has got a job on his hands to bring his men to their beat.

However, taking a quick look around the Business School Field, prospects look pretty good. Beginning right off in goal, Put Williams is going to have to work this year, and that's a good thing. One hundred and ninety pounds, one of the fastest men out there, and a pretty good football player in his own right, Williams could he an All-American soccer goalie. But last year he had his post on a cinch. This year he'll have to step around a bit. Sammie Merrill, captain of the 1940 Freshman booters, wants the job. So does Henry Riecken who saw a lot of soccer balls as Jayvee net minder last year.

Powell and Robie

At fullback Captain Dick Powell and Ted Robie, starts of two years are practically conceded starting berths. Last year, both men were hindered, Powell by a Perhaps Coach Carr faces the same situation this year. Too bad, but not as bad as it sounds. Joe Bradley, track man who runs and runs and never tires, was good enough to earn his letter last year, and he ought to improve this. Jim Doughty, a Sophomore, has an awful long kick when he connects. Phil Brooks, former football player, and Bob Gammons, track star, Goose Gosline and Jim Morrisson, Junior Varsity standby's for two years, and Gerry Deakin, a Sophomore, aren't running about the field for nothing.

Last of Harvard's great halfback line, which also had John Dorman and Frank Vincent, Danny Burbank graduated last spring. Coach Carr is missing him this fall. With the opening game against Brown on October 9, only George Phillips, southpaw, is a safe bet to start at halfback. Bob Scott, married man, who played center half regularly in 1936, knows only too well about the competition in 1937. Freshman Coach Jim MacDonald has sent up a member of potential middle ground stars, including Jim Rousmaniere, Robin Scully, and Charles d'Autremont. Ned Whitney and Bernie Jacobson, of last year's Jayvees, also want to play.

Forward Line Open

On the forward line, Jim Wood, left wing sharpshooter, h as gone by graduation. Howard Mendel, a Sophomore with a bullet shot, may get Wood's position. If not, he will probably be tried at center. In either case, he is flanked by Tom Motley, a great playmaker, ineligible last season. On the other side of the forward line things are kind of undecided. There's a lot of material hanging around, and some where Carr ought to pick up a couple of top notch players.

Harry Alexandre and Ernie Sachs, in their third year, may finally come through. Juniors Frank Harnden, Dick Lewis, and John Johnson and John Sinott have impressed in practice.

All things considered, one can take pleasure in the fact that the squad is developing fast in fundamental play, while mentally keen competition looks to develop a little fighting winning spirit.