Football Team Tapers Off Navy Practice by Light Workout; No Changes in First Team as Players Leave for Baltimore

Squad Cheerful as 36 Men Depart For South Station from Varsity Club in Two Buses

By Morris Earle

A few minutes before 9 o'clock. Manager Bob Whitman is the last man into the Varsity Club. A few minutes after the hour. Vernon Struck is the first man out. Frank Ryan, Stan Deland, Manager Ollie Bolton and Shippen Goodhue appear. The doors open and 36 players swarm out, suitcases in hand.

In the front bus, sitting in the back. Ryan and Trainer Jimmy Cox sit in the next seat, then Rae Crowther, most of the team, with Russ Allen up on the front right bench. Skip Stahley sticks his head in, grins, knocks Deland's hat off. Looking out the back window at the second bus. All that can be seen is Dick Harlow on the front seat. Bolton steps in, reads the roll. Allen? "Here." Down the line to "Winter?" "You Know It." The assistant motorman closes the door. Off from in front of the Union.

On the way in through Central Square. Danny Cheever's voice carries to the back of the bus, "Who's this guy Reidy?" Crowther says something to Bill Coleman. Torbert MacDonald says something to Ryan. Ryan observes how both Timmy Russell and Bob Stuart are making the trip. Through the back window. The other bus has disappeared.

At the South Station. Twenty minutes before ten. The train isn't ready yet. Some delay by the Pullman Company. The players fool around. A small crowd looks on observantly, wonderingly. These guys are big, somebody says.

Dick Harlow and Tom Calhoun, Post Correspondent, come by. How happy the follows look. Dick takes another puff on his cigar. "Yes, the boys are in top shape." A few minutes before ten. The first car backs in. Baltimore, here they come