50,000 to See Harvard Team Take Field Against Slightly Favored Midshipmen

Razzle-Dazzle Form of Offense May Offset Superior Power Of Navy

By John J. Reidy jr.

Terminating a two-year home and home series, Harvard clashes with Navy today before an expected crowd of 50,000 with both teams due to shoot the whole works in an effort to pick off a win today. It is felt that Dick Harlow has been aiming for this game as much as any on his schedule in order to make the first major game of the current season the first major victory of his career at Harvard.

With this victory under their collective and individual belts, the Harvard football team would be set to go places this season, but a loss will probably mean that they're just another beach of nice boys trying to get by.

That Harvard has a definite chance to win will not be disputed. Harlow has instructed the team in a really brilliant passing attack mixed with a substantial amount of razzle-dazzle along the ground. The chances that the Midshipmen will be completely blinded by the tricky offense are certainly good.

Against Virginia Annapolis showed thats its one weakness was in a sound pass defense. It is that weak shell that Art Oakes, Austie Harding, Frank Feley, Bob Burnett, and the rest of the Harvard pass combine will attempt to crack.

On the other hand the Navy power has a potent weapon in their running attack. Through the line the Midshipmen are sure to gain ground. Last Saturday the not-so-terribly good Brown team put on a sustained drive against Harvard which culminated in a score. Navy is almost sure to get one or two touchdowns this way, and it will be up to Harvard to offset this advantage with a pair or more of their own.

Yesterday afternoon the team ran through signals in the Municipal Stadium that showed they had weathered the trip well. In this practice Torbert MacDonald was shifted to wingback from tailback. This change was made in order to get full advantage of Macdonald's punting ability in case he has to go to spell Allen, whose leg injury has been kicking up and who may not see very much action.

It would not occasion too much surprise to see Torby Macdonald shot in there for a substantial period for the first time this season if Allen's infection proves as bad as it seems to have a chance to.

Optimistically speaking Harvard 20, Navy 14. Pessimistically speaking, vice versa