Eleven Grapples Springfield in Opening Game of Year in Stadium This Afternoon

Paul Stagg, New Coach, Starting New System; Tough Schedule Ahead

SPRINGFIELD, MASS., October 1--Coach Paul Stagg will send his Springfield College Maroons into the Harvard game tomorrow in fine physical condition and in fighting spirit. "With an extra week's practice the team has developed a smoothness lacking in last week's game," he said today.

Only one member of the squad will be out of the lineup because of injuries. Ralph Plumb, veteran halfback, has not yet recovered from a rib injury received in one of the first practices. The Sophomores have shown up so well in this week's practice that only three letter-men will be included in the starting lineup.

Son of the illustrious Amos Alonzo Stagg, "Grand Old Man of Football," whose Springeld team met Harvard for the first time in 1891, young Stagg faces his first severe test today. He is tackling a task this season which a less courageous young man would shun like poison ivy. Coming from Moravian College, a small Pennsylvania school, the 28-year old mentor stepped into a job formerly held by Jack Rothacher, rated by experts as one of the finest small college coaches in New England. He stepped in at a time when veterans were low and the schedule tough.