Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor Talks Justice, Civic Engagement at Radcliffe Day

Church Says It Did Not Authorize ‘People’s Commencement’ Protest After Harvard Graduation Walkout

‘Welcome to the Battlefield’: Maria Ressa Talks Tech, Fascism in Harvard Commencement Address

Multimedia

In Photos: Harvard’s 373rd Commencement Exercises

Rabbi Zarchi Confronted Maria Ressa, Walked Off Stage Over Her Harvard Commencement Speech

GOOD CHEER

Significant is the fact that four out of six of Harvard's 1937 cheer leaders are swimmers, significant because when new volunteers were called for last Spring, only one major letter winner outside the ranks of the swimmers applied. Whether or not swimming be technically a major sport, in spirit it is one of our most major sports.

And that major Harvard spirit is just what this year's cheer leaders are going to try to instill into this year's stands. Whether cheering makes the team or the team makes the cheering, as in the 1936 Princeton game, is beside the point. The point is simply that last year the cheer leaders were frankly "no good." Good yell leaders form the first requisite for good cheering.

This year's sextet intend to be good. Whatever methods they employ to arouse a little more enthusiasm, they are entitled to try. There's everything to win and nothing to lose from a sincere attempt to improve Harvard's cheer leading. Charley Hutter and his mates aren't taking themselves too seriously. Articles in yesterday's and today's Crimson treated the whole matter very lightly. That's the way to take it. Cheering was and is supposed to be all in the mood of good clean fun.