DIVIDENDS FROM HOUSE SPORTS

A record-breaking season was predicted for House sports this year, and the prediction has become a fact, at least so far as the fall intramural program is concerned. The new House sports plan, based on the idea of paid secretaries in each House, has been responsible for the success so far, and all who had a hand in the formation of the plan deserve to be congratulated.

Two hundred men are engaged in House football alone. Kirkland House, defending title holders of last year's championship, boats a squad which number 35 men, and close behind are the imposing squads of Eliot, Leverett, and Lowell. The important thing, however, is that every House is well represented. The reason for this is that the House secretary is directly responsible to Intramural Director Samborski to put a team on the field. An example of what these secretaries are accomplishing was evident on October 12, a holiday, when four House teams engaged in spirited practice sessions which would do credit to Varsity elevens.

This increasing organization of intramurals has come at a time when every college is in need of such organization, as all over the country Varsity athletics are finding themselves embroiled in the question of commercialization versus non-commercialization. House sports here are a beacon light toward the shore of sport for sport's sake. That enthusiasm and spirit has been injected into these intramurals is a credit to Harvard.