DE VOTO SCHEDULED TO GIVE THREE LECTURES

AMERICAN HISTORICAL NOVEL TO BE SUBJECT

In connection with the William H. Bliss Prizes in American History, Bernard De Voto, editor of the Saturday Review of Literature, will deliver a series of three lectures on the relation between American history and American literature in December.

De Voto, whose general topic will be "The American Historical Novel" was chosen by the committee on the extracurricular reading program in American History. Scheduled for December 6, 8, and 10, the three addresses will be open to all members of the University and to the general public.

Accompanying the announcement of the De Voto lectures was the release that Felix Frankfurter, Byrne Professor of Administrative Law, also will give a series of speeches in the spring on a subject to be made public later.

The first of the William h. Bliss Prizes to be offered is one of $100 for the best examination covering Part One of the "Reading List in American History." Copies of this pamphlet, which were issued last spring by the committee, are available at the Publications Office.

Although the examination will be held Monday, November 15 with registration no later than next Monday, the two series of lectures are intended to maintain interest in history throughout the year. Regardless if they have taken courses in American history or literature, all undergraduates are urged to the committee to enter the competition.

Believing that "a course taken under compulsion" would not meet the need of offering a broad knowledge of the cultural history of the United States to undergraduates, President Conant appointed a committee headed by Howard M. Jones, professor of English, to prepare an extra-curricular reading list. This pamphlet has been widely hailed by the public with several thousand copies distributed.