More Jobs Obtained Through the Employment Office, Says Report

Dean States That Chief Problem Of Bureau Is to Start Interest Among Undergrads

Substantial gains over the previous year in jobs obtained for undergraduates and alumni are registered in the annual report of George F. Plimpton '14, Associate Dean in charge of Alumni placement and student employment, for the year ending September 30.

Alumni placements, supervised by James F. Dwinell '02, included 69 members of the Class of '37, and totalled 163, a gain of 18 over 1935-36. Average salary for graduate students leaped from $1470 to $1752, with smaller gains for Seniors and other alumni. Seniors averaged $1190 a year, making the cash value of a graduate degree according to these figures $562.

At the Student Employment Office, under the direction of Russell T. Sharpe '28, 1148 applicants were placed during the past year, a 6.5 per cent gain over 1935-36. Earnings of those placed through the office dropped slightly to just under $200,000, but Plimpton attributed the decline to changes in bookkeeping methods, since total undergraduate earnings reached $278,-088.98 to top the corresponding figure the previous year.

Plimpton Comments

"My experience has indicated that one of our chief tasks is to interest men in their future before they become Seniors," Plimpton said yesterday in commenting on the report. He added that the response to 125 letters of invitation sent to Juniors in the spring of 1936 as an experiment had been unsatisfactory.

"The important thing is not to know definitely what you're going to do for the rest of your life," he continued, "but to start evaluating your abilities before you're actually up against getting a job."

"Three years ahead is the most you can map out your work; the man who Freshmen who were led by Bob Person with 26 points. Dan McSweeney topped the Yardling cagers with 8.

In what is expected to be the toughest game so far this season the Varsity basketball team will tonight meet a fighting Boston University quintet at the Indoor Athletic Building at 7:30 o'clock, to be followed by the Freshman game with the Terrier yearlings.

Same Varsity Lineup to Start

Although not venturing a prediction on the outcome, Coach Wes Fesler is confident in the ability of his team and will start his regular five of Captain Vernon Struck and Ulysses Lupien at guards, Lowman and Lutz as forwards, and Herrick at center.

The Varsity Summary:

HARVARD  BROWNLowman, l.f.  r.f., PlattLegg, l.f.  r.f., StaffLutz, r.f.  r.f., AllensonHeckel, r.f.  l.f., CampbellHerrick, c.  l.f., MullenLupien, l.g.  c., ChichesterWills, l.g.  c., KelleyStruck, r.g.  r.g., SharkeyLitman, r.g.  l.g., Truma