CLOSED SHOP FOR KITCHEN MEN MAY BE REFUSED SOON

University Required by Law to Accept Local 186 as Agents for Own Members In Negotiations

By a move which may temporarily check the month's old drive of the A.F. of L. to organize kitchen employees, University officials will refuse to grant the union rights of exclusive bargaining agents, it was believed last night.

No Move by Corporation

Brushing aside the labor situation as relatively unimportant, the Corporation at its regular meeting on Monday will definitely not consider workers' demands at this time, authorities revealed, preferring to leave the discussion up to Aldrich Durant '02, Business Manager of the University, and Financial Vice President John W. Lowes '20.

In the meantime negotiations between union representative Joseph Stefani and Durant were reported to be near their conclusion with the possibility that most demands concerning working conditions and pay increases would be settled satisfactorily to both sides.

According to Massachusetts law the College as the employer must recognize the right of any labor organization to offer proposals concerning wages and hours. In the eventuality that the A.F. of L. succeed in signing up a majority of dining hall workers it will have priority rights to bargain.

Agitation May Cease

Although agreements made with Local 186 and concessions to employees will not have the status of a legal contract, all indications pointed last night to the cessation of labor activity by the end of next week.

Enthusiastic over victories already won, the A.F. of L. in a meeting at Cypress Hall in Central Square Monday, agreed to press for a closed shop, refused to accept pay rises as final.

Granted to waitresses by the middle of the week was their request for laundering of aprons and service dresses at the University's expense. The Business Office further agreed to provide necessary clothing equipment for dining hall jobs.