THE WAR GOES ON

President Beatley of Simmons College in an interview with the Boston Transscript proposed solving the teachers oath law difficulty by allowing it to become a dead letter to be quietly repealed at some time in the distant future. Unlike other opponents of oath legislation, he does not realize that such a law can never become a "dead letter". As long as it remains on the statute books of the Commonwealth it must be, if not an outright threat, at least an unwarranted reflection upon the teaching profession.

The question of "political strategy" plays a large part in Dr. Beatley's argument, and he asks that agitation for repeal be stopped on the grounds that it is injurious to the very cause it seeks to promote. This may be an easy way out of the difficulty, but completely misses the mark of satisfying the just demands of the teaching profession. The latter has always granted that the bill itself does not interfere with freedom of speech, while insisting that it represents a dangerous tendency and an opening wedge to more pernicious action.

No comfort can be gained from Section 2A of the law, which Dr. Beatley would have one believe removes most valid objections. This section is a pious statement that the law is not intended to interfere with freedom of speech and thought as guaranteed by the Constitution. In fact, this very tergiseveration admits that the law aims to do just that. A dagger dipped in honey is no less deadly.

Without doubt, the law, if alone, would soon be forgotten. But this would imply compete surrender on the part of the teaching profession and give encouragement to those who would furthere interfere with academic freedom. The only real victory would be in outright repeal of the law at the earliest possible moment. It would denote the complete vindication of the teachers by the people of the Commonwealth and a warning to the legislature against future action of this kind.