EDUCATION TAKES TOO LONG, STATES CHASE IN REPORT

409 Men Must Work Way Through School; Stipends Are Awarded to Most Brilliant

That "American education takes more time than it should" was claimed by George H. Chase, Dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, in his annual report to President Conant issued yesterday. The average age of the 155 students receiving Ph.D. degrees last year was shown to be 30.2 years.

The Dean pointed out that 47 per cent of the graduate school residents, a slight but encouraging increase, did full time work toward advanced degrees, and that the experiment of relieving exceptionally brilliant scholars from working their way through had functioned satisfactorily in its first two years. He noted, however, that there were still 409 students unable to devote their entire time to study because of the necessity of earning money.

The report called attention to the fact that last year a comparatively large number of students received scholarship help for their first year of graduate work. This was taken as a reflection of "the feeling of many members of the Faculty that now and then a brilliant Senior gives more promise of becoming a productive scholar than many a graduate student who has acquired high grades in more advanced work."

Dean Chase declared that the "depression" decrease in total enrollment of the Graduate School, from 962 in 1933 and 859 in 1934 to 792 for the last school year, had apparently reached its low point, as this year's registration numbered 915. He added that of the 155 men who received doctorate degrees last year 126 are known to be employed at present, 90 of them in school or college teaching.