The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

TINKER NAMED NORTON PROFESSOR OF POETRY

Yale Faculty Member Will Deliver Six Public Lectures During Year 1937-38

Chauncey Brewster Tinker, author, Sterling Professor of English Literature at Yale University, has been appointed Charles Elliot Norton Professor of Poetry for the 1937-38 academic year, it was announced last night.

Under the terms of the professorship, Professor Tinker must deliver at least six public lectures on poetry during the year. The professorship was established in 1925 under a $200,000 gift by the late Charles Chauncey Stillman '98, and is an annual appointment to a man "of high distinction and international reputation." Previous holders of the chair have been Robert Frost, T. S. Eliot '10, Gilbert Murray, Lawrence Binyon, and others, the present holder is Johnny A. E. Roosval, professor of the History of Art at the University of Stockholm.

Professor Tinker, B.A. Yale '99, M.A. '01, Ph.D. '02, has been on the faenlty of the Department of English at Yale since 1903. He is the author of "Dr. Johnson and Fanny Burney," 1911, "The Salon and English Letters," 1915; "Yound Boswell," 1922; "Nature's Simple Plan, 1922; and "The good Estate of Poetry," 1929; and is the editor of "Letters of James Boawell," 1924.