YALE OFFERS TINKER

The appointment of Chauncey Brewster Tinker as next year's Charles Eliot Norton Professor of Poetry has captured undergraduate fancy. The search for a man of unusual gifts to occupy this unique position--never an easy task--has ended most happily.

In selecting Professor Tinker Harvard has chosen an alien genius of undoubted popularity. Harvard has never evinced any false modesty over the worth of her own sons. Through the Norton Professorship, however, she is able to ward off the spring fever of complacency with a salutary drink now and then from the waters of outlying springs. This tonic is of considerable concern to Bostonians, as well as students, and is generally offered to the public. Especially since the professorship is thus turned to a popular purpose must the choice be a popular one.

Professor Tinker has been honored by Yale ever since 1903. His greatest work has concerned Dr. Johnson and his circle. Mr. Tinker's subject has not yet been announced, but it is to be hoped that, although his own mid-eighteenth century may be too prosy for the purpose of poetic lectures, he will manage to distill a little of the dry Boswell-Johnsonian wisdom into his remarks. There is every possibility that the S. R. O. sign will be hung out for Mr. Tinker as it was for Robert Frost.