"HEARST FOR WIDENER"

Continuing to ignore the importance of the Hearst press, Widener Library sails blandly on in its endeavor to keep a record of important publications in the country at large. The Library receives some thirty daily papers which are tucked away in musty corners for reference work by future historians. The list includes such relatively unknown papers as "The New Militant", "The Groton Landmark", "Baiker", and "The Progressive", yet in this wide range of publications no Hearst newspaper is included.

The purpose of collecting and filing these papers is to provide a fairly accurate cross-section of the influences which are at work on public opinion and in turn the United States government. More conservative interests are represented by papers like the "New York Times" and the "New York Herald Tribune"; the leftists by "The Awakener"; and Italians by "Dielli". But it is impossible to fulfill this purpose, to mirror truthfully the kaleidoscopic forces at work, without taking cognizance of Mr. Hearst and his nosegay press.

Looking through the papers on file in Widener thirty years from now, it would be difficult to explain why the Congress acted as it did on the World Court question three years ago . . . . an issue which died obediently at Mr. Hearst's command. Although his opinions and his form of journalism may be much clap-trap, it is an undeniable fact that they help mold public opinion. The record of the times, if it is to be true and impartial, must include the good and the bad. The Hearst press deserves a representative.