The Music Box

Gladys Swarthout Will Give Recital Sunday; Symphony Is Away

The ensuing week is singularly lacking in musical events. The Boston Symphony is on tour, treating New York with the latest Berg Violin Concerto which Dr. Koassevitzky presented here last week-end, and Symphony Hall will be empty except for Sunday afternoon when Gladys Swarthout, mezzo-soprano of opera, radio, and motion picture fame, will give a recital.

She has been described by the New York Times as "lovely to look at and heaven to hear". However that may be, she has chosen a program which runs the gamut of musical history and comes out rather breathless at the end with a "Wild Song" by Olive Durgan. The recital should give Miss Swarthout ample occasion to prove the abilities so lavishly accorded her by reviewers.

Bach's magnificent Passion According to St. Matthew is to be performed once this year by essentially the same forces as were heard last season. Good Friday (March 26) has been chosen, appropriately enough, for the date and it is hoped that the Glee Club which is the bulwark of the performance will get the good house it deserves. Incidentally, there are still some seats available for the remaining quarter of the Symphony season at a very low rate. These seats include subscription privileges for next year and certainly offer an unusual opportunity to begin the very worthwhile "Symphony habit". Inquiries should be made at Symphony Hall in Boston.