WRESTLING BOUT ENDS IN FINAL TILTS TODAY

Gardiner, Cox Will Vie in Heavyweight Class; Lewis Faces Daughaday for 175-Pound Title

Skillful and snappy wrestling which evoked praise from officiating Pat Johnson, coach of the Varsity and Freshmen, featured the semi-final round of the University mat championships held in the Indoor Athletic Building yesterday.

Major bout of the afternoon was the fight to place in the finals of the 175-pound class. Dick Lewis, who held a place on the Freshman team this season, finally downed Ernest V. Keyes 3L after two exhaustive overtimes. He will face Daughaday, who wrestled 165 on the Yardling force and who overcame undefeated Tudor Gardiner '40 in order to place.

Best form was displayed in the light in the 135-pound division when Edwin C. Ihrig 3L, former Princeton star, threw John L. Angel 1G, one-time ace of the University of Colorado team, to enter the lists against Arthur W. Page '40, undefeated Yardling grappler. Preliminary to meeting Seymour J. Rubin 2L, who took the title in the 135-pound division last year, William T. Hull '40 defeated William H. Fain '39 in a seesaw extra period encounter.

Unchallenged today were contestants in two classes, the 126-pound and the unlimited. Finalists in the former are Louis Daily '40 and Langdon W. Mead '39; in the latter Howard E. Cox '31 and Tudor Gardiner. Advanced to the last round, after a short preliminary match, in which his opponent was thrown, Captain Pete Illman of the Freshman team will face Keyes tomorrow in the 165-pound division.