Undergraduates Celebrate Second Consecutive Virtual Housing Day

Dean of Students Office Discusses Housing Day, Anti-Racism Goals

Renowned Cardiologist and Nobel Peace Prize Winner Bernard Lown Dies at 99

Native American Nonprofit Accuses Harvard of Violating Federal Graves Protection and Repatriation Act

U.S. Reps Assess Biden’s Progress on Immigration at HKS Event

THOMAS ASKS MORE SEX IN LITERATURE COURSES

English Reading in High School Must Include More Sex Themes According to Educational Review Article

To make students see sex in its proper perspective and position should be the attempt of English teachers, according to Charles S. Thomas, associate-professor of education, in an article in the second issue of the Harvard Educational Review.

Thomas discusses the plea of many young teachers today that the typical English course "seeks by its choice of unsexed and devitalized themes, to divert the reader with mere trivialties . . . and situations alien to the vibrant happenings in the daily life of the normal boy or girl or high-school age."

These younger teachers, many of whom have voiced their opinions in Thomas' classes, believe that students should be started out with such books as "Our Business Civilization" by James Truslow Adams. "With such books," they say, "we are stimulated to think as we read and we are stimulated to read on as we think further."

The criticisms to these suggestions, according to Thomas, are that a sex theme may be too sombre, the English class is not a proper place for instruction.