REJECT FIVE NAMES NOMINATED TO THE OVERSEERS BOARD

Baldwin, Lamont, Garrison Among Those Thrown Out by Bacon as Chairman of Committee on Elections

Names of five prominent liberals who were nominated by petition to the Board of Overseers were thrown out by the committee on elections of which the chairman is Gaspar G. Bacon '08. In a letter in the Alumni Bulletin which appears today it was revealed that over half of the names on the petition which was received from an anonymous source were those of men ineligible to vote, were illegible, or appeared twice.

The five liberals who were named on the petition are Robert M. Lovett '12, professor at the University of Chicago and identified with labor movements there; Roger N. Baldwin '05, president of the American Civil Liberties Union; Lloyd K. Garrison '19, dean of the Wisconsin University Law School; Corliss Lamont '24, well known liberal of New York; and Julian W. Mack '87, New York judge. The name of the latter is, however, being placed on the ballot because of a petition received previously which had the necessary 200 signatures all of which were eligible.

According to the letter which Bacon sent to the signers of the petition and which appears in the Bulletin today, there were 204 signatures on the petition. Three of them occurred twice, and of the remainder 84 were found to be eligible.

Of the 117 remaining, 54 received degrees within the last four years, another 54 were connected officially with the college, and four had no Harvard degrees at all. For these reasons all these names were thrown out.

Although three signatures out of the total of 204 were duplicated and five illegible, Bacon stated that he had sent his letter to 201 signers.

Besides Bacon those on the committee of elections are William Phillips '00, of Washington, D. C., Albert A. Sprague '98, of Chicago, George Whitney '07, of New York, and Samuel H. Wolcott '11.

The name of Mack had been put on the ballot even before the petition was received. To those to whom the petition was sent Bacon said in part, "We regret to inform you that this petition was insufficient, and that the names of four of these proposed nominees will not appear on the 1937 ballot."