Survey of Flaws in House Plan Main Article of Interest in March Advocate

"Jesus, Mary and Joseph" Climax of One Article, "Prince Alpha"

Mother Advocate produces the initial member of her spring brood with the publication today of the March issue. Among the articles of interest is the featured story called "A Plague o' Both Your Houses," which is an excellent survey of the chief flaws in the House Plan. Discussing the system from the point of view of one who has been disappointed for various reasons with the fruits of Mr. Harkness' generous gifts, Alvah W. Sulloway '38 brings into print "what oft was thought but ne'er so well expressed." He finds that the House plan "lacks the ability to integrate the social and intellectual life of the college." This point is carried throughout the article, and the success of the Plympton and Mount Auburn Street boarding houses is directly the result of this. The solution offered for the difficulties is wholly practicable, but it has some merit. Whether or not this is the universal opinion of the House Plan, Mr. Sulloway will find that many of his readers are whole-heartedly in agreement.

"Prince Alpha," a disconnected and disjointed babble from the pen of a visionary Freshman, Harry Brown, rambles on for four long pages to come at last to the greatly enlightening closing statement, "Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, I'm coming to be a man . . . " Jeffrey Fuller '38 contributes a well-written book review in the form of an essay, on Ernest J. Simmons' newly published work, "Pushkin." The article discusses the book from the point of view of its own content, and contains a criticism of Pushkin himself.

"Way of Salvation", by William N. Parker '39 and Frank P. Davidson '39 brings to light the background and some of the history of that architectural horribility known as Warren House. For the first time, for many undergraduates, the character and accomplishments of Henry Clarke Warren, owner and designer of Warren House, as well as a translator of Chinese manuscripts, is discussed in minute fashion.

"I Like You Best of All", a none-too-short story devoid of sense, lot, and quotation marks, and having as its here a bespectacled, lad of about ten years. His unfortunate experience as the lover of a classmate who has as her other admirer a slightly elder and stronger boy, is told with no effect and appears insipid. Reviewers of books, theatre and cinema plus a fairly entertaining story entitled "A Matter of Strategy" and a sonnet sequence, make up the balance of the issue.