Dignitaries of University Gather to Honor Pennypacker Tablet at Union

Lowell Terms Former Admissions Chairman Well Qualified To Choose

In that same Union where he often in years past sat down to a meal with Freshmen acquaintances, a tablet was unveiled yesterday afternoon in honor of the late Henry Pennypacker. Just inside the entrance of the building in the main hall gathered a semicircle of friends, graduate and undergraduate, and dignitaries of the University to witness the official presentation of the bronze plaque in memory of the former chairman of the Committee on Admissions from 1920 to 1933.

President-Emeritus A. Lawrence Lowell spoke briefly and with feeling for the man who worked for so many years under him. He stressed the fact that Mr. Penypacker's experience as Headmaster of the Boston Latin School served him well in his Harvard position, making him ideal as a member of the admissions committee.

"Freshmen of years to come will not know him," added Dr. Lowell. "After a short time his features will be unfamiliar. But his benediction will be always with us."

Thomas H. Bilodeau '37, president of the last Freshman class to enter Harvard under Mr. Pennypacker regime, recalled his self-prepared breakfasts in Grays Hall in the Yard, mentioned his kindness to ill Yearlings, and commented that Mr. Pennypacker caught a fatal could viewing the Harvard-Yale Freshmen Football game. "In short," said Bilodeau. "he became a Freshman himself every year in sympathy as least."

He then presented the bas-relief bust to President Conant on behalf of the Class of 1937. Mr. Pennypacker's little granddaughter, Nancy, unveiled the tablet.

Said President Conant in accepting: "To me' it is significant and important that the memorial movement originated among students under his regime."

William J. Bingham '16, director of Physical Education, presided over the exercises and introduced the speakers. Tea was served afterward in the Union dining hall.