B.U. BEATS NINE 9 TO 7, SPOILS LOCAL OPENER

OWEN CLOUTS HARVARD FOUR BASE BLOW, SACKS EMPTY

Bob Leahy pitched in very good form for the visitors, while his teammates backed him up with some well placed hits. The net result was a 9-7 defeat handed the Varsity baseball team in its opener against Boston University here yesterday.

Al-Colwell and Jim Sullivan Crimson regulars were unable to play due to examinations.

Going into the fourth inning with the score tied at 1-1 the Terriers put together a walk, and error, and two hits off Crimson hurler Dick Walsh to take a lead they never relinquished.

Nearest the home team, came was in the fourth inning when veteran Frank Owen lifted a long one high over center field for a circuit tour, bringing Harvard up to the short end of a 4-3 score. The visitors capitalized on the Mitchellmen's post-tour slump and their own slugging ability throughout the rest of the game.

Ed Ingalls, twirling mainstay, was sent in for Walsh in the first half of the fifth inning and allowed B. U. two hits and three runs for the remainder of the game. ing" appointments in designed to give a man notice of the termination of his services and give him opportunity to obtain another position. The President, who has the power of approval or veto, automatically cut this to two years, as he has done in the all similar cases this year; formerly it has been customary to give a man only one year to look for a job. The Board of Overseers and the Corporation have both passed on the recommendation; either could have vetoed or changed it. Thus to the beat of the Council's knowledge, after talking to all men concerned, it seems that the decision was based on the comparative ability of the men; those responsible for the policy realized that this dismissal might cause a furor among the undergraduates and the press, but they did not change their policy on this account.

As to the abilities of Drs. Walsh and Sweezy, as compared to those of other instructors and tutors in the Department, the Council realizes that there is a sharp difference of opinion between those who made the decision and many students, other faculty members, and outsiders. The Council feels that this conflict cannot be avoided or eradicated.

However, the case of Drs. Sweezy and Walsh focuses attention on four main problems which are of vital importance in the administration of the University and on which there is considerable debate. They are:

(1) In judging a member of the faculty who is being considered for promotion or dismissal, is too much emphasis being placed on research and the publication of scholarly works as opposed to teaching ability?

(2) Should the trend to the social sciences which is so marked in the University be recognized and definite provision made for the enlargement of the Departments in this field, or, as President Conant believes, should this trend be discouraged and more emphasis put on other fields?

(3) Is the hiring and firing of faculty members at Harvard done so as to insure the highest caliber of man at the same time being as fair as possible to the men involved? Is the system fair to younger tutors and instructors? Should an automatic "up or out" policy be instituted? Are life appointments advisable in all cases?

(4) Is it possible to have departmental budgets flexible to allow for changes in the number of students taking courses and concentrating in any one field? This has been difficult in the past due to the limited funds available and the difficulty in cutting the appropriation of any department to give to another due to the number of life appointments.

* * *

Considering these factors, therefore BE IT RESOLVED that a committee of five, three Council members and two other undergraduates, be appointed to pick another committee of five, or more, present Juniors and Sophomores interested in this subject, to make a study of these four problems and submit a report to the Administration during the academic year 1937-38 or before.