LOENIN TROPHY GOES TO CRIMSON AVIATORS

Award for Outstanding Intercollegiate Work in Aviation Won by Local Birdmen's Organization

Competing against 40 colleges in the National Intercollegiate Flying Conference over the past year, the Harvard Flying Club was awarded, during vacation, the Loening Trophy for outstanding college aviation activity.

Given each year by Grover Loening, pioneer designer of flying boats, the trophy was won by the Flying Club by a large margin. In addition, Clarence D. Martin, Jr. '39 was appointed president of the Conference, while James K. Davis '38 was made executive director.

Established in 1910, the club was the first college flying group to be organized. The club consists of 40 members headed temporarily by Davis. Important meets for this spring are the following; on May 1, Middle Atlantic meet, to be held for 20 colleges, in Philadelphia; on May 15, the New England Intercollegiates, which Harvard won last year; on May 22, a dual meet with Yale; and on June 19, the National Intercollegiates, to be held at Hickaville, Long Island, New York.

Spet lauding, acrobatics, dropping of flour bombs for accuracy, and races are usual events at meets. The Flying Club's prospects for the Intercollegiate meets are considered excellent by informed circles here.