THE PRESS

ACADEMIC FREEDOM AT HARVARD

Mason Hammond, head tutor of Lowell House, one of the first two units of the new Harvard House Plan, possesses, in addition to many other most desirable qualities, a spirit of co-operation. He is, furthermore, a good sport. He can make the best of things. He had to the other day! The Transcript photographer, in pursuit of a half dozen interior views of the new Houses (they appeared Saturday) with which to supplement the "layout" of the exterior "shots" previously published in the Transcript (last Wednesday), arrived at the doorway of Mr. Hammond's beautifully finished and furnished suite simultaneously with a half dozen or more of the head tutor's friends who had been invited in for tea and to inspect the newly-inhabited rooms. It was obviously, not the best time to make pictures, even if the photographer did have his heart and soul set on using up at least one plate on Mr. Hammond's combined library and living room. So the cameraman demurred, insisted that some other time would do: but Mr. Hammond was adamant. "Come in and take your picture. We will make room for you!" He shooed his guests out of the library into another room across the hall; rearranged several plates of cakes on the table; watched a moment with interest while the camera was set up, its lens pointing directly at the plates of cakes. And then Mr. Hammond had an opportunity to prove that he possesses one virtue which every tutor in every Harvard House should possess patience. For the tea was ready was poured, was disappearing, while the cakes reposed on the library table unapproachable, un touched, uneaten. The camera in use was of a type and adjustment requiring thirteen minutes' exposure. The tea became the first course, the cakes the second.

Harlan Radcliffe in the Transcript