RUGBY TEAM LOSES TO L. I. UNIVERSITY 13-12

Lead Shifts Often in Close Match but Long Island Slips Ahead at End to Triumph

The Harvard Rugby team lost to Long Island University yesterday in a game which was not decided until the last few minutes of play. The final score, 13-12 in favor of Long Island was the result of a struggle during which both sides were ahead at various times in the game. Harvard's forward line did well but poor tackling by both backs and forwards often ruined their attack, and the defensive work on the whole was weak.

Harvard's first try came in the middle of the first half when Ned Whitney broke away and passed to Jim Field who crossed the line in the corner. In the second half Harvard kept the ball down in Long Island territory and Tony Cockins crossed the line for Harvard's second score. Bill Watt shortly afterward plunged through several opponents to score after receiving a pass from Jerry Desmond. Hayden Channing added the final three points on a penalty kick. All during this second half Harvard was in Long Island's half of the field, and crossed the line several times only to be called back for penalties.

Among the forwards Auston Scott, Tom Gephart, Bill Williams and Ned Whitney were outstanding for Harvard, following the ball well.

Bill Waters at full back stood out for the backs with excellent tackling and kicking. Tony Cockins also turned in his usual slippery game.