Relay Carnival Here; Crew Favored Over Tigers

Haskins, Cutler, Wolcott, Clark, Gardner, Chace, Erikson, Austin, and Bennett Form Eight for Compton Cup Race

holding down the number four position after spending most of last season on the Jayvee crew. Two other remaining veterans in the Orange and Black crew are Grant Armstrong and Brooke Stoddard. Cox Bill Hopkins, Tom McMillan, Bill Coors, Haaxhurst and Kinney complete the roster of a boat composed entirely of Seniors and Juniors.

Harvard, too, has no Freshmen who have been able to make the grade and get on the first eight. Way back las winter Bolles selected a Varsity crew composed entirely of experienced men, and he hasn't changed that crew once. It was quite a remarkable job of picking, and the result is that the boat that has been working together so long with none of those disturbing changes in personnel has developed into a powerful, smoothly functioning unit.

This eight which opens the Princeton race sees Captain Eddie Bennett looking down the boat and seeing Spike Chace at stroke, Paul Austin at 7, Doug Erikson at 6, John Gardner at 5, John Clark at 4, Bob Wolcott at 3, Rog Cutler at 2, and bowman Bill Haskins. Of these, the only two who haven't had Varsity experience are Haskins and Gardner, and they both were on the Jayvees in the races against the Elis on the Thames.

Chace has had long experience here stroking; he was captain of his Freshman eight; and last season he stroked the Varsity in their impressive victory over Yale. Those were the Whiteside days, however, and rowing on the Harvard waterfront has changed since then.