READING GUIDE IN AMERICAN HISTORY TO APPEAR JUNE 1

College Men Will Take Experimental Tests Before Public Submits to Check-Up on Private Work

Definitely, Harvard's reading guide for the study of American History under her new informal extra-curricular program will be ready on or about June 1.

Yesterday's official word from University Hall replaces the statement in the first and fullest document of Wednesday, April 14, that the syllabus would be in the hands of the interested by Maytime. It also provides some further data on President Conant's most recent cultural innovation.

All scholars are going to study at the pace and to the degree they desire. Boosting them along next winter there are going to be series of public lectures, for which no enrollment is to be required.

Until then udnergraduates and public alike, having obtained copies of the reading list by writing to the Publications Office in Lehman Hall will get along with their private work.

Examinations will have to be tested on Harvard students, who want to know how their study work is progressing, before being prepared for the public at large.

Summarizing the purpose of the new plan, which made its embryonic appearance in the President's February report, yesterday's announcement concludes with the points, "to show that an individual may continue his education throughout life by disciplined reading on an informal basis", "to promote interest in the history of American civilization", and "an attempt to counteract the idea that the only road to knowledge lies through formal instruction in regular college courses."