BUSINESS REVIEW OUT, FEATURES GOVERNMENT IN BUSINESS STORIES

CORPORATIONS, ELECTIONS ALSO TREATED IN PUBLICATION

Armed with the scalpels of economic educators and thinkers, the spring number of the Harvard Business Review today stands by to take a few cold-blooded glances into the activities of federal government in business areas.

Accomplishments of the Federal Co-ordinator in railroad operations forms the subject for discussion by William J. Cunningham, James J. Hill Professor of Transportation, in his leading article.

Progress towards greater coordination now lies with the railroads who have set up an organization toward this end, but the rate of progress has lagged since the office of Federal Co-ordinator was allowed to lapse last June.

Taking up the topic of social security legislation in France, W. A. Sollohub draws together with the differences "striking parallels" between the Frank and American law making. Estimates of the costs of the French system have a direct bearing upon the scale of taxes now in force in this country to meet the expenditures undertaken.

Government activities in the field of farm credit are, say the official Business School review, effectively summarized by John K. Galbraith, instructor in Economics, in an article on "The Farmers' Banking System: Four Years of FCA Operations." Charles C. Abbott '28, instructor in Economics, deals with "The Government Corporation as an Economic Institution", a subject about which little has been written. Finally, among articles discoursing on business and the government, Thomas N. Whitehead, assistant professor of Business, comments upon the importance of the presidential election in the United States. He regards the election as reflecting an underlying social and economic change evident in other countries as well as this.