Dave Shean Will Twirl for Crippled Crimson Nine Against Cornell Team Today; Ingalls to Face Dartmouth Tomorrow

Sullivan Chips Thumb Bone, May Be Unable to Play Against Ithacans

Seriously hampered by injuries, the Varsity nine faces a crucial weekend, engaging Cornell at 4 o'clock this afternoon at Soldiers Field and Dartmouth tomorrow at Hanover.

Resting insecurely in third place in the Eastern Intercollegiate League with two wins and one loss, the Crimson must humble both the Ithacans and the Indians to stay in the running for the championship.

In practice Wednesday, right fielder Jim Sullivan chipped a bone in his thumb, catching a line drive, and it is doubtful if he will be ready for action today. Although a spike gash in his heel, incurred yesterday, required three stitches, Art Johns is expected to play this afternoon against the Ithacans.

Others on the casualty list who nevertheless will start in the weekend encounters are Al Colwell with a bad knee and Captain Tom Bilodeau suffering from a bruised hand. In the event that Sullivan is not able to patrol right field, Dick Grondahl will probably get the call.

Following his startling performance Tuesday against Brown in his first appearance on the mound, Dave Shean will twirl for the Crimson today when the Mitchellmen will seek to duplicate their 9-3 defeat of Cornell at Ithaca.

Evidently pleased with Russ Allen's throwing against the Bruins, Coach Mitchell will again start the football captain elect in the left field garden.

Buried in the cellar of the league standings with but one win in six starts, Cornell has only an outside chance of trimming the Varsity this afternoon. In the last game between the two teams the score was close until the ninth when five Crimson runs crossed the plate at the expense of pitcher Mike Stebnach.

Starting on the mound today for the visitors will be Jack Lozier, who chalked up the only win credited to the Cornell victory column. The rest of the lineup will be the same as the one which bowed to the Varsity two weeks ago.

Although the Cornell nine is batting only .218 as a team, shortstop Walt Johnson is hitting at a .357 clip followed by Captain Rudy Doering, third baseman and cleanup hitter, with an average of .333.

Tomorrow, chances for a Crimson victory appear dark against the league leading Indians. But if Ed Ingalls pitches in top form and if his teammates play heads-up ball, the pregame dope favoring a Dartmouth triumph may be upset.TOM BILODEAU Plays Despite Injury