MELONE, MILLER, OGLE SELECTED AS ORATORS FOR COMMENCEMENT DAY

NO ORATIONS BY GRADUATE MEN THIS YEAR

Choice of student speakers at Commencement, as verified last night, indicates Laird McK. Ogle '37, of Norwalk, Connecticut, Neil G. Malone '37, of Minneapolis, and Edward O. Miller '37, of St. Louis, as the selections.

According to word from Frederick C. Packard, Jr. '20, assistant professor of Public Speaking, these men have been chosen for the rites on final Thursday, just before the awarding of diplomas.

Ogle will attract chief attention. There are two reasons. His is the first speaking voice of the day after the Sheriff of Middlesex County has called the meeting and the Chairman of the Board of Preachers has spoken in prayer. Also Ogle will talk in Latin, as was always the custom in casting greetings on behalf of the Class.

Melone and Miller deliver their parts in English. Customarily it devolves on one graduate and one undergraduate for these posts, but this year graduates failed to come forward with suitable orations.

Additional qualifications of the speakers include: for Ogle, the leading part in the Mostellaria, Latin play of the Tercentenary, and the winning of the Lee Wade Prize with a Greek rendition; for Miller, the giving of one of the three undergraduate speeches at the Tercentenary.