Table Tennis Championship Uncovers Two Yardlings of Outstanding Ability

Penholder Jack Levin Outpounds William Maish for Ping Pong Title

Exponent of the penholder grip and possessor of the fastest forehead in University table tennis, Jack I. Levin '40 won the Ping Pong championship yesterday at Barry Cowle's shop. Levin downed Pong stylist William W. Maish '40 in a bruising encounter which lasted over an hour.

Playing steadily and retrieving everything with dogged determination, Maish built up a lead of 11-2 in the final set. Here the fickle fortune of Pong turned in favor of Levin, whose wicked drives started clipping the edges of the table in unreturnable fashion. The final score was 9-21, 21-17, 18-21, 21-19, 21-19.

Tennis Men Not So Tough

Defeated by the Yardlings in their semi-final matches were Arthur K. Davies 1B, and Hubert H. Hauck '38. The former, who was downed 3-2 by Levin, played number one for the Tennis and Squash Team in the Greater Boston Table Tennis League. The team reached the final playoffs for the State B Championship, losing to the strong Cambridge Y.M.C.A. outfit.

Varsity netman Hauck, who has also been active in University Ping Pong circles, was blanked 3-0 by Maish. Other tennis men were unable to get by their first round opponents, including MacDonald Deming '37, George M. Goodwin '39, and John G. Palfrey, Jr. '40. Although he holds down the number four berth on the Yardling tennis team, following in the footsteps of his famed sister, Palfrey was unable to fathom the intricacies of the table game.

19. In Event

Nineteen enthusiasts participated in the tournament which brought out, besides the fact that the Yardlings have some real Pong luminaries, the proof that the penholder grip has far reaching possibilities. Always frowned on by champion table netmen, this grip showed itself to be equal to the regulation clutch.