EXCERPTS FROM THE PRESIDENT'S REPORT

By John B. Bowditch

The Council occupies a very unique position in Harvard College; it is very unlike the representative bodies at other colleges in that it does not deal with intimate student problems, has nothing to do with the disciplinary relations between student and Dean. As stated in the preamble of the constitution, the council serves "as the responsible authority in matters where undergraduate action, rather than opinion, concerns the College as a whole."

* * *

Over the course of years since the founding in 1908, the practice has been built up in the Administrative Offices of the College of referring any change or innovation to the Council. Many times the comments and criticisms of the Council have been prime factors in putting off the change or in modifying it. This is a valuable heritage, and if handled correctly is a potent weapon. The only caution to be spoken here is to say that the Council at such times must be sure that it has adequate facts and figures before coming to any decision; otherwise when the policy is announced publicly there may be a strong kick-back from the student body.

The report making function of the Council is perhaps its most important activity. Here again over the course of years the custom has grown up of making two or three major reports a year on subjects affecting the College. Thus the House system, the tutorial system, athletics, etc., have been looked into from one angle or another. In many cases these reports have led to positive action by the College, as in the Interhouse athletic investigation this year.

Very luckily the Dean's Office and President Conant have co-operated generously with the Council. Dean Hanford, particularly, has always been generous with his time in aiding the Council. Also, any records in the office are almost always thrown open to the Council when information is requested. Because of this close co-operation many have said that the Deans dominate the Council. Looking over the history of the past few years, I do not think that such an accusation in at all warranted; the misconception springs from the fact that when one is allowed to know all the facts of any particular case, more often than not any criticism will have to be tampered. But the Dean's Office and the Council nevertheless have disagreed rather heartily over many issues.

* * *

Council members must be careful to watch the College very closely and pounce on any question which seems to be brewing in the public mind; timely comment and clarification of any currently discussed college topic commands respect. During the past year one student appealed to the Council on a ruling of the Dean's Office on the matter of language pre; this was used more or less as a test case, and several suggestions were made on language pro in general. It is to be hoped that students will get in the habit of following this procedure