NAVY CREWS GAIN THREE VICTORIES IN ADAMS RACES

Freshmen and Jayvees Lose by Larger Margins in Preliminaries; Penn Is Third in All Races

Laying off until Thursday, the great Harvard sprint crew that met defeat at the hands of an even greater Navy outfit will begin its drive for New London and Yale late in the week.

An idea that the clean slate of the Varsity and Jayvee crews was not long to be preserved came when the Freshman crew received a decisive setback at the hands of the Navy Plebes. The same story was told in both preliminary races, where the Sailors jumped into a quick lead they never relinquished.

Among the people who were standing along the banks of Schuylkill Navy's Varsity had been considered a slight favorite before the Regatta began, and as the Jayvee and Freshman races were rowed, the Midshipmen's supporters became more and more sure of themselves while Penn was thought to be out of the race.

The Varsity boats were a little late getting away from the stake boat. The little wind that had been rippling the muddy waters of the River had died, and the conditions for rowing were ideal. Then the referee sent the boats away, and the greatest sprint race of the season in the East was under way.

Navy boats had jumped their opponents on the start in every race previously; but on this occasion Harvard, at 41 during the first minute, got off to a beautiful start and stuck right with the other two eights.

The Schuylkill River has no straight- away more than a mile in length, and the Henley has a slight turn in it shortly after its beginning. Harvard, on the inside lane, started ahead, but they soon dropped back alongside the other two boats, so that when they straightened out for the finish line the Crimson shell was well behind.

The first glimpse the crowd had at the finish was seeing Penn leading, for the Quakers came around the turn with a slight lead over Navy. Philadelphia's went wild as they imagined their crew turning in the greatest upset of the year.

Penn held its lead until about half a mile from the finish; then the Navy went by, gliding along at 32 or 33. A powerful boatload, the sailors were rowing three or four strokes lower than their opponents.

Then Spike Chaco went to work; the stroke went up, up, until it was 40. Harvard was doing the unbelievable as it passed Penn, came up steadily on Navy. Behind by over a length at one point, the Crimson closed up the gap--except for that last quarter length.

The Navy sprint took effect then and they held Harvard off. It had been a great race, and the game Penn crew finished a good third, a bare two seconds behind the Crimson. For Navy there remains Poughkeepsie, for Harvard Now London