Manuscripts, First Editions by English Poets of Nineteenth Century Feature Widener Display

Works of Tennyson, Browning, Keats, Wordsworth, Kipling Among Those Exhibited

On display at Widener until after Commencement will be first drafts and other manuscripts by some of the most famous nineteenth century English poets, officials of the Library announced.

Embryonic attempts of Tennyson, Browning, Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Wordsworth, Keats, Coleridge, and Kilpling have been placed on exhibition in the Poetry Room.

First Editions On View

Since most of the writing is in illegible scawls, the manuscripts are accompanied by the first published editions, so visitors may trace the development of the works by comparison with the printed texts.

Tennyaon is represented by a draft of "Vivien", one of the best known "Idylls of the King". Originally entitled "Nimue", the outline reveals many interesting alterations.

Browning Wrote On Scraps

Of Browning's works there is shown "Love Among the Ruius" written in a minute hand and on four little scraps of paper. Mrs. Browning's well-known "Aurora Leigh" is revealed in its primitive form as a printer's manuscript.

"On first Looking in to Chapman's Homer", and "Odo to Autumn," by John Keats have been unearthed from the Preasure Room along with "Amours de Voyage" by Arthur Clough. "Hymn before sunrise" by Coleridge and Rudyard Kipling's "Recall" are also shown.