THREE HARVARD CREWS PICKED TO SWAMP YALE

Crimson Strategy Aims to Let Yale Lead First Mile, Then Pass Them at Lower Beat

Complete superiority over Yale in all crews except the combination was evinced by comparative time trials on the Thames, and confidence in the Harvard camp is reported to have jumped to new heights as a result of the showings.

In a two-mile race downstream the Harvard Freshman crew just managed to nose out the Junior Varsity in spite of a magnificent kick which the jayvees showed near the finish line. The time was 9:49. A few minutes later the Yale Jayvees rowed over the same course four seconds slower, their clocking being 9:53 in spite of a higher stroke which they rowed all the way.

These times show not only that the Crimson Jayvees should be given the betting edge, but also that the Varsity is superior to Yale because the Harvard Varsity easily outrows the second crew while the two Yale boats are almost evenly matched.

Harvard strategy, it was learned last night, will be to let the Yales lead for the first mile, but at that point it is expected that Harvard, rowing a lower stroke, will pass them and should hold its advantage. The Harvard stroke in practice and time trials has been continually lower than Yale's.