REFUGE FOR LONELY HEARTS

For many painful autums at least one person has pondered the plight of the friendless Freshman who reaches the Yard with a bag in one hand and shaking fingers in the other. It is hard for the popular Andoverite or Grotonian to understand the feeling of complete, bitter solitude which assails countless new students the first few days of their college career. The Union has tried to mitigate this condition by providing an excellent buffet supper on registration day, served by waitresses with motherly smiles. What with the awful immensity of Memorial Hall and the complexities of the registration card, University Hall can do little to help.

As behoves a charitable organization, Phillips Brooks House, like a masculine Mother Hubbard, has this year determined to make existence much easier for the lonely hearts of the Freshman class. On Sunday afternoon they are holding open house, to which have been invited the proctors--who are expected to excite interest in some form of get-together sport among their charges--and ministers of the various churches in the Square. Moving pictures will be shown, tea served, and acquaintanceship encouraged. Thus the first unofficial move in recent years to lift solitary Freshmen from the pit of despair is about to go into practice. If successful, more power to the charity of P. B. H.!