WALSH HANDS IN RESIGNATION AS INSTRUCTOR HERE

To Complete Term in Economics Post--Dismissal of Men Caused Storm of Protest

J. Raymond Walsh, whose two-year concluding appointment aroused a storm of protest last spring, has handed in his resignation and is now doing research work for the National Labor Relations Board. According to close friends, the Economics instructor resigned because he was "disgusted."

Although the resignation has not yet been officially approved, Walsh's move is final, and approval of it is expected shortly. Last summer Walsh was in Maine, where he spent a large part of his time working on his book on the CIO.

Alan R. Sweezy '29 another Economics instructor who was also given a two-year concluding appointment, has returned to Cambridge and will fill out his appointment.

The dismissal, or rather what amounted to the dismissal, of the two men caused much student activity last spring. Those who took the side of the men claimed that the University had discriminated against the instructors because of their activities in such organizations as the Teacher's Union. Meetings were held in their behalf, and a certain amount of literature was distributed.

On May 26 President Conant wrote a letter to the Overseers announcing that he had appointed a committee of nine professors to investigate the Walsh-Sweezy affair. In the letter the President admitted "the existence of substantial doubt within the University as to the justice or wisdom of the University's action. The committee of professors have as yet issued no public report of their findings.