College Playwrights to Compete for Money Prizes in National Contest

New York Group of Critics, Producers, Actors, Offer $500 Awards

For college students and recent graduates the Second Play Competition of the Bureau of New Plays, 1270 Sixth Avenue, New York City, will open Friday and close December 15. Announcement of awards will be made not later than March 15.

Awards of $500 will again go to the six best plays submitted in the competition. At the discretion of the Bureau of New Plays, and on the basis of future promise and financial need, these awards may be increased to scholarship awards of $1250 or to fellowship awards of from $1500 to $2500.

Any undergraduate or graduate student now attending any American or Canadian university or college, or who has attended such an institution at any time since December 1, 1931, whether or not the work for a degree was completed, is eligible to compete for the awards.

Plays must be full length, original, unpublished and unproduced by any professional theatre, and must have written recommendation by the Head of the English or Drama Department or his authorized representative, of the college or university attended by the author.

The panel of leading producers, directors, educators, actors and critics from which the committee of judges will be chosen to pass upon manuscripts submitted in the second play competition, will include: Richard Aldrich, Winthrop Ames, Delos Chappell, Alfred de Liagre, Jr., Max Gordon, Lawrence Langner, Gilbert Miller, Brock Pemberton, Rowland Stolibins, producers; Ina Claire, George M. Cohan, Lynn Fontaine, Walter Hampden, Helen Hayes, Eva Le Gallienne, Alfred Lunt, actors; John Gasson, John Hanrahan, Joseph Wood Krutch, Burns Mantle, Ruth Pickering, critics and editors; Edward Goodman, Harry Wagstaff Gribble, Worthington Miner, Philip Moeller, Antoinette Perry, Leo Strasborg, directors; A. M. Drummond of Cornell University, SamSawyer Falk, of Syracuse University, Garrett H. Leverton of Northwestern University, E. C. Mabie of the University of Iowa, Allardyce Nicoll of Yale University, Frank Hurburt O'Hara of the University of Chicago, Arthur Hobson Quinn of the University of Pennsylvania, Randolph Somerville of New York University, educators.