Sophomore Vanishes in New Disappearance Case; Witness Claims He Saw Burgess Drown in Charles

Wilbur J. Gould Missing From Room in Lowell House Since Sunday

University authorities notified police last night of the disappearance of Wilbur James Gould '40, a resident of Lowell House. A concentrator in the Bio-chemical Sciences, Gould was last seen Sunday morning in his room.

As in the case of F. William Burgess 1L, there is no apparent reason for the disappearance. An honor student, on the dean's list, Gould had been in good spirits; his college friends say that he has been of a calm, unworried disposition, has been in good health and good scholastic standing, and that he apparently had no reason for going away.

Gould was last seen by the maid who came in to clean his room at 10:45 o'clock, Sunday, January 9. He was cheerful at the time and spoke about studying for a Chemistry 2 examination on Monday.

Had Only Ten Dollars

At the time of his disappearance he was wearing a brown hat, tan camel's hair topcoat, brown suit, and tan shoes, a check of his clothing indicates. It is believed that he had not more than ten dollars on his person. College officials say that his father, Richard Gould, shoe manufacturer of Brooklyn, New York, is seriously ill at home.

It has been requested that any information as to Wilbur Gould's where-abouts be given to the police, college authorities, or Attorney Julius H. Bregman, Commander Hotel, Cambridge. Gould is five feet ten and a half inches tall, weighs 150 pounds, and has medium brown hair brushed straight back, gray eyes, a very light complexion, a prominent nose, and a brown mole on his right cheek.