Pennsylvania Swimming Team Lacks Outstanding Natators

By January ., Of THE Daily "pennsylvanian, " Philadelphia, and Dave Tyre, (Special dispatch to the Crimson)s

Minus their three outstanding stars of 1937, sprinter Gene Gisburne, diver Bob Helme, and distance man Raoul Delvalle, Coach Merriam's Pennsylvania swimmers are a distinctly questionable outfit. Victorious by 58-17 and 58-23 over Villanova and Lehigh respectively in meets which proved nothing, the Red and Blue is better balanced than in the past, but lacks outstanding men.

Tolan Shines in Backstroke

Sophomore George Tolan has shown the most advanced from thus far in the backstroke, completing the 150-yard event in pool-record time against Lehigh last week. Another Sophomore, Lafe Weeks has bolstered the sagging breast stroke division and is a sure-fire point winner in league competition.

Captain Henry Sanville, in Gisburne's shadow for two years, and Paul Williams, are competent but not sensational sprinters, about 55 seconds for the 100, 24 seconds for the 50 being their speed. Joe Delone, capable of some 90 points, is the number one diver.

Distance Men Weak

The 220 and 440 free-style have been depleted by Delvalles' loss and Eral Wilson's leaving school, giving Charles Smith, a 2:25 man in the 220 and a comparable 440 swimmer, Bob Chapman, the task of holding up the distance departments.

A fast relay team of Sanville, Williams, Smith, and George Jack, is potentially powerful over 400 yards, as is the young medley relay