Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

"TIMES A'WASTIN'"

As the blood-stained, professorial axe of mid-year examinations slowly descends nearer and nearer to the tender, bared flesh of the undergraduate neck, student red-corpuscle-pressure mounts steadily higher, and a kind of feverish anxiety speeds up the ordinarily sluggish tempo of daily life. Under these circumstances, time becomes an all-important and vital factor; the primary object of the day's curriculum is to employ every minute, even every second, on the well high insurmountable task of cramming all those important, little bits of academic wisdom into the old cranium. As the undergraduate hastily slips into the dining hall at 9:30, bolts down a few fried eggs, and then dashes for Widener, after having read the daily paper, looked at his mail, and generally dissipated an hour or so, he is greatly irked by any sort of delay.

Perhaps the most exasperating, most infuriating of the petty hazards of life, which tend to delay the student are the snowy, ice-crusted side-walks which are to be found on every street near Harvard Square, and worst of all on every path in the Yard. Occasionally one can find a few traces of sand or ashes on an otherwise glassy, treacherous surface, but such life-saving spots are far and few between, and when found, they exist only in small piles, so that their effectiveness is definitely limited. In order to navigate with even a modicum of safety, or a minimum of alacrity, so essential in these days when time-saying becomes all important, the student is forced to place one foot in front of another with extreme deliberation, and like a tight-rope walker, proceed at snail's pace. If the journey be from Dunster House to Widener Library, perhaps ten minutes will be wasted instead of five.

It would be highly desirable if the University would team up with the City of Cambridge, and by the judicious use of men, long-handled ice-picks, elbow grease, engineering science, and a humane desire to make this fair world a better place to live in, remove all vestiges of ice and packed snow from the sidewalks and paths of Harvard.