Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

ARE WE POSITIVE, SIR?

In his annual report President Conant indicates a number of policies which might be followed by the University provided that additional funds were made available. Particularly he stresses the need for additional scholarships while making no mention at all of the need for continuing the drive for an athletic endowment. President Conant thinks that there exists a very great need for scholarships. Many other people think that there exists a very great need for an athletic endowment. By failing to make any mention of the latter need in his report, the document which will form a chief weapon for Harvard solicitors in the next twelve months, President Conant has by implication denied it.

So far from being denied this need deserves to be stressed together with need deserves to be stressed together with need for scholarships. The scholars brought to Harvard by endowed funds will undoubtedly contribute towards the advancement of human knowledge and the improvement of human society. An athletic training would develop to the fullest the mental balance which forms a prerequisite for good citizenship. Thus it is at least open to question which would comprise the greatest loss to Harvard, potential fellowship and scholarship men or a potential endowed athletic program. It is unfair for the President to cast the athletic endowment into the ash barrel by failing to mention it in his report on the state of the University.